What is Hydroxyzine HCl Compound?
Hydroxyzine HCl Compounded is an antihistamine used for the treatment of allergies in dogs and cats. Compounding is beneficial in instances where a specific dosage is unavailable or in different forms to make it easier to dose your pet. Hydroxyzine HCl requires a prescription from your veterinarian, and is sold per tablet.
Please Note: custom compounds take 2-3 business days to prepare and cannot be shipped to NC, MN, or MS.
Dogs and Cats
- Effective against hives, itching, and rashes
- Can be used as a mild sedative or tranquilizer for anxious dogs
How it Works:
Hydroxyzine blocks the effects of histamine in the body. Hydroxyzine also depresses activity of the central nervous system and is also used to treat anxiety disorders and tension in stressful situations.
It should not be used in pregnant or nursing animals. Hydroxyzine may cause drowsiness. Be sure to tell your veterinarian about any health conditions or other drugs your dog or cat may be taking.
Hydroxyzine HCl Compound Directions:
- Hydroxyzine HCl Compound is available by prescription and used by veterinarians for the treatment of allergies in dogs and cats. Ask your vet for the right dosage for your pet.
- Hydroxyzine HCl Compound is not FDA approved for use in veterinary medicine; however, it is a commonly accepted practice for veterinarians to prescribe this medication for dogs and cats.
- Hydroxyzine HCl Compound is an antihistamine which is useful to treat allergic conditions that affect the skin such as hives, itching, and rashes.
Hydroxyzine HCl may cause drowsiness or dizziness.
Hydroxyzine HCl Compound Dosage:
|All weights||Give 5 to 10 mg per cat every 8 to 12 hours or as directed by veterinarian.|
|All weighhts||Give 1 mg per pound of pets body weight every 6 to 8 hours or as directed by veterinarian|
|Horses||Do not use!|
Store this medication at room temperature away from moisture and heat.
What is a Compounded Medication?
A compounded medication is the creation of a particular medication to fit the unique needs of a patient, including changing the form of the medication (e.g., from a solid pill to a liquid) for a variety reasons (e.g., to make it easier to take, to avoid a non-essential ingredient, to obtain the exact dose needed, adding favorite flavors).
If you are having difficulty giving your pet prescribed medication or need to find a discontinued medication, 1-800-PetMeds offers compounding services on select medications. We can prepare the following: (1) custom strength quantities of a medication (as capsules, liquid, chewable tablets, or transdermal (absorbed through the skin); (2) dosage forms to mask bitter or unpleasant taste (such as capsules or chewable tablets that can also be flavored); (3) dosage forms to make it easier to dose your pet such as a transdermal or liquid (that can also be flavored); and (4) discontinued products such as cisapride or DES.