What is DES Compounded?
DES Compounded is used to treat urinary incontinence in spayed female dogs. It mimics the effects of the natural female hormone, estrogen. Compounding is beneficial in instances where a specific dosage is unavailable or in different forms to make it easier to dose your pet. DES Compounded requires a prescription from your veterinarian.
Please Note: custom compounds take 2-3 business days to prepare and cannot be shipped to NC, MN, or MS.
- Treats urinary incontinence in spayed female dogs
How does DES Compounded work?
DES mimics the effects of estrogen, which works for urinary incontinence by improving the function of the nerves of the urinary sphincter.
Keep this and all drugs out of reach of children. Diethylstilbestrol is a prescription drug and should be used according to your veterinarian's directions. It should only be given to the animal for which it was prescribed. Do not give this medication to a person. Pregnant women should not come in contact with DES. DES should not be used in pregnant pets.
DES Compounded Directions:
- Give this medication to your pet exactly as your veterinarian prescribes.
- If you miss giving your dog a dose of diethylstilbestrol, give the next dose as soon as you remember or, if it is close to the next scheduled dose, return to the regular schedule. Do not double dose to catch up.
- DES is given by mouth and may be given with or without food.
- When used to treat urinary incontinence, other drugs that complement the DES may be prescribed by your veterinarian.
Wash your hands after giving your pet this medication.
What is a Compounded Medication?
A compounded medication is the creation of a particular medication to fit the unique needs of a patient, including changing the form of the medication (e.g., from a solid pill to a liquid) for a variety reasons (e.g., to make it easier to take, to avoid a non-essential ingredient, to obtain the exact dose needed, adding favorite flavors).
If you are having difficulty giving your pet prescribed medication or need to find a discontinued medication, 1-800-PetMeds offers compounding services on select medications. We can prepare the following: (1) custom strength quantities of a medication (as capsules, liquid, chewable tablets, or transdermal (absorbed through the skin); (2) dosage forms to mask bitter or unpleasant taste (such as capsules or chewable tablets that can also be flavored); (3) dosage forms to make it easier to dose your pet such as a transdermal or liquid (that can also be flavored); and (4) discontinued products such as cisapride or DES.