Ask the Vet
Ask the Vet
Michael Dym, V.M.D.
Doctor of Veterinary Medicine
Dr. Michael Dym
Back to results
Enter Your Information All fields are required

While efforts are made to answer all questions as quickly as possible, if an immediate answer is required or if your pet is in need of urgent or emergency care, contact your pet's veterinarian immediately.

*Please note: Questions submitted and the answers will appear on our website as a benefit to all pet owners. Please make sure not to include any personal information in the box where you enter your question.

Ask the Vet
Michael Dym, V.M.D.
Doctor of Veterinary Medicine
Dr. Michael Dym
Thank you! Your question has been submitted.

You will receive an answer from Dr. Dym and our vet/tech team as soon as possible, usually the same day.

All answers are provided for informational or educational purposes only, and are intended to be a supplement to, and not a substitute for, the expertise and professional judgment of your pet's veterinarian.

It may be necessary to consult your pet's veterinarian regarding the applicability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your pet's symptoms or medical condition.

Close
Ask the Vet
Michael Dym, V.M.D.
Doctor of Veterinary Medicine
Dr. Michael Dym
Oops! Your question has not been submitted.

An error has occurred, please reload the page and try again.

Close
Ask the Vet
Michael Dym, V.M.D.
Doctor of Veterinary Medicine
Dr. Michael Dym
Got questions? Ask Dr. Dym & our Vet Team:

While efforts are made to answer all questions as quickly as possible, if an immediate answer is required or if your pet is in need of urgent or emergency care, contact your pet's veterinarian immediately.

Do these answer your question?
Showing of | See All
Have another question, or can’t find your answer?
Submit your question
We're Sorry!

There is no answer related to your question

Can’t find your answer?
Submit your question
Category Hide All Show All

What Time Of Year Are Ticks Active?

Springtime is tick time, but they’re active year-round
When the sun comes out, it might remind you to stock up on your pet’s flea and tick products. But did you know that ticks are active year-round?

What Happens To Ticks In The Winter?
When the temperature drops below freezing, ticks in the early stages of their life cycle hibernate. Adult ticks do not hibernate. Instead, they become dormant, hiding out in leaf piles and underbrush.
If the temperature rises above freezing at any time during the winter, even for just a day, adult ticks may come out in search of a blood meal.

Ticks: A Growing Problem
Not only do ticks continue to survive through the winter, their active season has become more and more difficult to predict over the years.
The CDC reports that there are more cases of Lyme disease each year. Factors such as climate change and urban land development have resulted in longer tick seasons. So, while you might have gotten away with only using flea and tick preventatives in the spring in past years, it’s not worth continuing to put your pets and your family at risk for exposure.

Why Ticks Creep Up On Us
Normally, we’d believe that if our pets were bitten by ticks, we’d most certainly know. But the truth is, studies show that a majority of dogs in some areas have been exposed to Lyme disease as shown by antibodies in their blood.
About 95% of affected dogs are asymptomatic and do not require any treatment. For that remaining 5%, symptoms can take weeks to show up.
If infected, your pet cannot pass Lyme disease to you. However, an infected tick can hitch a ride on your pet’s fur and enter your home. That’s why it’s so important to keep your indoor pets up-to-date on their tick preventatives even if they never go outside.

How To Keep Your Pets Safe From Ticks Year-Round
If you use a flea and tick preventative like NexGard Chewables or Bravecto Chews, administering it year-round ensures that there are no gaps in your pet’s protection. You’ll also find it easier to remember to stock up, and you’ll never have to worry about deciding when to start administering them.
Still find it tough to keep up with your pet’s protection? A Seresto collar protects your pets from ticks for up to 8 months before they need to be replaced.