Benefits of Microchipping Dogs & Cats
Each year over 3 million animals are euthanized in pet shelters. Many of these animals are someone's pet that either got lost or was found wandering through busy streets. Now with microchipping, missing pets can be taken back to their rightful owners quickly!
A microchip is approximately the size of a grain of rice. It is placed under your pet's skin using a needle and acts as a tracking device. The microchip itself carries a number which is put into a database with contact information like name, phone number and address. If your pet wanders off and a pet shelter or vet's office picks him or her up, they can scan your pet's body to find out who Fido or Fluffy belongs to. Pets that receive a microchip implant will feel the same amount of pain as a vaccination. Remember that microchipping is useless unless you keep your records up to date.
Now that you know how a microchip works, here are the many benefits for microchipping your pet.
- Keep track of your pet if he or she wanders off.
- If your pet ends up in a pet shelter they can get him or her back to you quickly.
- In case of a natural disaster your pet will be returned to you.
- Microchips last for your pet's lifetime, so all you have to do is keep your records up to date.
- If your pet is on medication and he or she gets lost, having a microchip allows you to find your pet sooner to administer meds.
Having a microchip doesn't take the place of your pet's ID tags, so make sure your pet has proper identification at all times. As with all foreign objects, there is a risk of a microchip causing an adverse reaction in sensitive pets. In rare cases, documentation has stated that microchips may cause cancer in susceptible pets. As an owner it's up to you to determine whether or not microchipping is right for your pet.
Knowing that your pet is safe is a great peace of mind, so microchipping may be the right answer for you. However, using supplies like harnesses, leashes, and pet containment systems can also help ensure your pet is safe and secure.