Ask the Vet About Poisoned Dogs and Cats
As a practicing veterinarian, Dr. Dym has over 19 years of experience and dedication to enhancing the overall health and well-being of pets. His commitment and passion for pet health continuously drives him to learn more about the art and science of homeopathy through ongoing training and education.Submit Your Question
Question:The property we are buying has five large oleander trees. How likely is it that our 78 lb dog could be poisoned by any sticks or dried flowers they might shed?
Answer:Honestly, I'm not the best vet to ask: I have practiced for 25 years in North Georgia, so we don't have a lot of oleander up her, so I've never treated a case of Oleander poisoning. Contact a poison control specialist for the best advice. Here are a couple of options: ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center Phone Number: 1-(888) 426-4435 or websites like JustAnswer.com. And here's a good article about Oleander toxicity with another toxicologist you can speak with: https://www.petpoisonhelpline.com/poison/oleander/
Question: i have 2 shih tzus; can i feed them blueberries, or dried cranberries? can i feed them pieces of blueberry bagels?
Answer:None of those are toxic so very small amounts aren't considered problematic for most dogs, BUT shih tzus are so small, it is easy to quickly unbalance their diet with any amount of people food, so don't give them too much.
Question:My standard daschund 11 years old and about 30 pounds just ate a ludens cherry cough drop they are made of pectin no xylitol or benzocaine will he be okay
Answer:It doesn't sound like they contain anything toxic. I would need to see all of the active ingredients to be able to say for sure. When a toxicity issue arises and you need immediate help, here are a couple of options: ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center Phone Number: 1-(888) 426-4435 or websites like JustAnswer.com.
Question:Is it possible to detect through a blood test or any other means, if a dog has been poisoned?
Answer:It entirely depends on the type of poison - there are tests for a few (antifreeze, etc.) but not many.
Question:8lb cat ate dog’s 16mg Apoquel. I hat should I do? This was 30 minutes ago.
Answer:When a toxicity issue arises and you need immediate help, here are a couple of options: ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center Phone Number: 1-(888) 426-4435 or websites like JustAnswer.com.
Question:what could be wrong
Answer:It's going to be hard for me to recommend anything for you without examining him and getting a detailed history because there are so many causes of vomiting. Add to that, it is often hard to differentiate coughing, reverse sneezing, regurgitation, and vomiting. So see your veterinarian if it continues and/or worsens. Here is a link to our article about various causes of vomiting and potential treatments, both over-the-counter and prescription: https://www.1800petmeds.com/education/vomiting-causes-dog-cat-36.htm
Question:My 7 lb chihuahua just ate a hershey kiss. Is this a fatal dose? What should I do?
Answer:If it was one milk chocolate hershey kiss, no that would not be fatal. It may upset his stomach. When a toxicity issue arises and you need immediate help, here are a couple of options: ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center Phone Number: 1-(888) 426-4435 or websites like JustAnswer.com.
Question:I fear that one of my cats has ingested something toxic because I found a pool of bloody vomit on the floor. The cat is not interested in food or water. Is there a generic antidote for possible poising for a cat? The cat is male, about 18 months old.
Answer:I would need to what he was poisoned with. There are MANY causes of vomiting, most treated very differently, so definitely see your veterinarian for some blood work to see what is going on so you can get him treated correctly. When a toxicity issue arises and you need immediate help, here are a couple of options: ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center Phone Number: 1-(888) 426-4435 or websites like JustAnswer.com.
Question:My cat suddenly lose his appetite and when I give him water with sugar through a syringe he drinks it and vomits it after. I don't have enough money to go to the vet so please suggest a home remedy. :((
Answer:Since they can vomit for so many different reasons and many of those are treated very differently, it really is ideal to see your veterinarian for a diagnosis. Tell them that you have financial constraints and most to work with you. Until then, a good probiotic like this one may help: https://www.1800petmeds.com/Proviable-prod12083.html
Question:How many hours do i have to observe my dog who ate a rat poison? i dont know how much she could have eaten. As of the moment she’s doing okay.
Answer:It depends on the active ingredient - some are within minutes to hours, others take days to show signs. When a toxicity issue arises and you need immediate help, here are a couple of options: ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center Phone Number: 1-(888) 426-4435 or websites like JustAnswer.com. Toxicity depends on the exact active ingredient, strength (concentration), amount ingested and weight of your dog - have all of that ready for the toxicity expert.
Question:I did not know grapes were poisonous to dogs. I fed my beagle (35lbs) 2 large frozen red grapes. What do I look for if he develops kidney failure?
Answer:A very small percentage of dogs are very sensitive to the toxic effects of grapes, but that still is not a very large exposure. Kidney failure usually starts as inappetance (not eating well), increased thirst and urinating and progresses to weight loss, vomiting, etc.
Question:I have a Maltese that is being treated for back pain. We completed her medication and she was still showing symptoms. I gave her a does of my other Maltese and now she is whimpering, diarrhea
Answer:Many pain medications can upset their stomach - I would need to know a lot more about your dog's situation to really advise you (what pain meds you are using, how painful, how much she weighs, etc.) so consult your veterinarian that examined her for the best advice.
Question:Our dog food was recalled due to aflatoxin poisoning. My American bully is showing symptoms. What are good things to do for her at home to support detox?
Answer:It depends on how the toxins are affecting her - ideally see your veterinarian for some blood work to know what medications are best.
Question:Hello my name is James oboyle and I have a 6 year old American red nose pitbull and last night around midnight she started being clumsy disorientated running into things and then started vomiting at first the vomit had chunks of food that she had digested in it and then a few times later no food nothing but yellowish brownish color fluid and then it started to become pinkish in color and thicker looking but I'm trying to figure out what to do as none of the veterinarian clinics in my area are open and what I need to do if she has been poisoned I have a sample of some of the vomit just in case I do find an emergency veterinarian please help
Answer:The continued vomiting and the disorientation are very worrisome. I would get her to the closest veterinarian, even if you have to drive a ways, so they can run some blood work and see what is going on.
Question:Hi i have an electric siphon i wanted to use to empty my turtle terrarium but was informed it was previously used with gasoline and then flushed with salt water and wanted to know if it was safe to use in the terrarium or if it would harm the turtles. thank you
Answer:I am solely a small animal (just dogs and cats) veterinarian so contact a veterinarian that specializes in exotics for help with your turtle. You can often find them at your local veterinary school or on websites like Justanswer.com.