Skunk odor removal
Skunk spray is a scent that can make our pets outcasts. Want to remove skunk odor and bring them back into the home? Here is a recipe for a homemade solution that works to remove the odor. Use it within one hour of mixing it because it loses potency quickly. Discard any unused solution after application.
- Skunk odor can be transferred from your pet to your furniture
- Most pet shampoos will only temporarily mask the odor, the recipe below actually removes the odor
Homemade skunk odor removal solution
- ¼ cup baking soda
- 1 teaspoon dish soap
- 1 quart 3% hydrogen peroxide
Double the recipe for a large dog.
Applying the skunk odor removal solution
- Put the skunk odor removal solution directly on your pet. Do not add water or get your pet wet before applying the solution. Work this solution into the coat and over the skin. Carefully avoid the eyes. Apply to the head with a cloth. Leave the solution on for 5-20 minutes.
- Rinse thoroughly with water.
- Wash with a pet shampoo of your choice, working the shampoo well into the skin and hair to lift any oils.
- Rinse thoroughly.
- Apply pet conditioner.
Additional tips for removing skunk odor
- For pets with severe, direct hits, reapply the peroxide skunk odor removal solution.
- For pets normally trimmed at the groomers, have them trimmed to remove lingering scent trapped in the hair.
- Supplement with products that replenish the skin oils stripped by hydrogen peroxide: Nordic Naturals Omega-3 Pet, Be Well for Dogs and Be Well for Cats.
- Reapply topical flea and tick products in 24 to 48 hours because they are stripped from the coat along with the skunk scent.
To help your pet's skin and coat return to normal after all the scrubbing, feed Omega 3 fatty acids.