As a practicing veterinarian, Dr. Dym has over 19 years of experience and dedication to enhancing the overall health and well-being of pets. His commitment and passion for pet health continuously drives him to learn more about the art and science of homeopathy through ongoing training and education.Submit Your Question
Question:My daughter's rabbit was eating grass that was right next to bushes that were sprayed with insect killer. We are concerned he may have ingested some of the spray. Do you have any advice, and how concerned should we be?
Answer:I am pretty strictly a small animal (dogs and cats only) veterinarian. All I know about rabbits is that they are more sensitive to almost everything (antibiotics, etc) so it probably is something to be concerned about. You will need to contact a veterinarian that specializes in exotic animals (rabbits are considered exotic) and/or contact a poison control hotline like: ASPCA poison hot line at (888) 426-4435. Definitely have the active ingredient of the spray ready when you call them.
Question:What can I purchase at the store to give my chihuaha. She has body stiffness, weak, unable to stand up by herself???
Answer:Her symptoms are so general, it could be from a lot of things, including poisoning, but also heart disease, kidney disease, liver disease, etc etc. A trip to see your veterinarian and possibly some blood work should help determine if she has been poisoned and what medications can help her.
Question:I sprayed some ant killing liquid around my house and about 30 min. Later my dog steps over it, I haven't seen anything bad but I am curious if he is okay
Answer:Most ant spray isn't very toxic to dogs but it totally depends on the active ingredient. You can call the 1-800 number on the can or a poison control hotline: Here is one number : ASPCA poison hot line at (888) 426-4435.
Question:My dog died a month ago out of nowhere and he was very healthy and was all caught up on shots. He was fine one day then a week later he started acting ill and passed. Well now my dads dog is acting the same he's not eating barely drinking water and peeing where he's laying and won't or can't move when he gets up to walk he walks like he's drunk and he can't keep his body held up he's weak and is hiding in the closest where he never goes. Does this sound like he's been poisoned?
Answer:Poisoning is possible but so are a lot of other things - the only way you will be better able to tell is to take him to your veterinarian and have them run some tests on him.
Question:My dog is not eating anything from last 4 days. He is also not responding to any actions and has become very weak . He is only drinking water sometimes. Is this symptom of poison eating.
Answer:Poison is possible but so are many other things - a trip to see your veterinarian will help determine what is going on.
Question:I lost my 13 year old dog 2 days ago. Now my Chihuahua us exhibiting similar symptoms. Labored breathing, lethargy and coughing. I gave her a piece of benadryl that has calmed her some. I'm afraid they may have been poisoned. They are inside dogs but play outside in a fenced in yard. I can't afford an emergency vet but can take her Monday.
Answer:It is really so hard for me to guess without seeing her and running blood work on her - the flu is spreading around here again (Georgia), but it could be many different things including poisoning - try to get her to your vet as soon as you can.
Question:Hi, I am Sheethal and I own a 5 year old rott weiler. He had stopped eating a week before and vomitted (color: yellow) a couple times. He also had diarrhoea (color : dark red ) but still refused to eat. Our veterinarian prescribed tablet and glucose. He has become very weak and not able to stand. He hasn't stopped vomitting. It freaks me out and I can't see him suffer like this. Kindly help.
Answer:I really wish I could help you through the computer but not knowing what is really going on with him or what his blood work looked like, it's hard for me to help. If he is continuing to get worse, have your veterinarian recheck him or, at a minimum, call them and tell them he is getting worse.
Question:I have a three month old English bulldog that weighs 15 lbs. I came home from work and saw she had chewed into a Lysol lemon breeze spray bottle And it has been leaking. I'm not sure how much she has but the ingredients are (ethanol/SD Alcohol, 40 1¿3%; fluid that acts as sanitizer. Isopropyl alcohol, 1¿2%; p-Chloro-o-benzylphenol, 5¿6%; antiseptic.) she has been fine acting normal no diahhera. However she went to bed around 11pm and woke up at 12:30pm and threw up. Her vomit was brown and looked like her food. I had given her a good and well chewable calming aid tablet before bed and may have given her more than the suggest use (1/2 tablet for her size, I gave her a full tablet). Wanted to see if the calming aid could have been the reason she threw up or is she poisioned from the Lysol. What should I do next.
Answer:If she only vomited once, it may not be that much of a problem - and really the irritation from the Lysol and/or the calming chew could both upset her stomach. The Lysol isn't toxic, that I know of, but calling a poison control center that keeps up with all of the active ingredients is ideal. Here is one number : ASPCA poison hot line at (888) 426-4435. If she continues vomiting, starts to act lethargic/mopey, and/or develops diarrhea, take her to your veterinarian to have her checked out.
Question:My dog at gain soap that our in balls that he took from us and now he just having diarrhea and bleeding from the back I called a emergency pet place and it's a two hour wait and that's they have no clue if it's going to go away or Is he in danger help?!!!!!!
Answer:On a Sunday there will be a wait wherever you take her. They will usually tell you a little longer than you actually have to wait. If you are seeing blood, I would definitely go ahead and take her in. Hematachezia is usually pretty treatable.
Question: am caring for my dog that got bit by a rattlesnake at home due not being able to afford care and that I love very far from the nearest vet. She is taking antihistamine and dog aspirin. She is a husky and so she talks a lot and I have her immobilized in her kennel but she doesn't like being in there. When I let her out, she moves around too much and I'm afraid that will do her more harm than good. Problem is that with her whinning in the cage I'm afraid she is having anxiety issues even though I am sitting with her. She was bit yesterday at 2 pm. When are circulatory issues with the venom not a problem so that I can let her move around?
Answer:That's a good question - since we are coming up on 24 hours(I'm in EST), she should be fine to just walk around the house, especially if the crate is stressing her out, but I wouldn't let her run freely outside for even a few more days. Keeping the wound clean (if she has one) is important at this stage - some will need antibiotics to control secondary infections, but some don't - it depends on how much venom was injected into her and how big, infected her wound gets.
Question:Our dog, 9 years old suddenly came up lame in the hind legs while vomiting 3 x and also has diarrhea. It happened suddenly, going from a happy dog to a sick one sometimes in late afternoon Saturday. We suspect she might have been poisoned by a neighbor.
Answer:Limping isn't a common symptom of poisoning but vomiting is - but dogs can vomit for MANY different reasons (dietary indiscretion, kidney disease, liver disease, poisoning, intestinal parasites, viruses like parvo, etc etc) The only way I can relate the limping to the vomiting is if she sustained some kind of trauma (like hit by car) and may have internal injuries. You should have her examined by your veterinarian as soon as you can.
Question:I have a 1yr old boy and he started shaking none stop can't keep balance or stay awake
Answer:You definitely need to get him to your veterinarian as soon as you can. It is very possible he was poisoned or hurt his back/neck really badly, etc.
Question:I think she might be poisoned. She is throwing up and is drooling. She is laying down and not getting up. Since about 5:30pm today
Answer:None of that sounds good - get her to your veterinarian as soon as you can.
Question:My husband and I came home to our dog walking like she was drunk, falling over on her left side and seeming to be out of it. We noticed that our hibiscus plant was chewed on. We rushed her to a vet where they gave her fluids, It's and some tests. Her urine test tested positive for barbiturates ingestion. They could not find out what exactly was wrong and wanted to continue testing. We did not have the money they wanted so they sent us home. What can we do at home for this? We have to hold her down and be right next to her otherwise she does an alligator roll and won't stop rolling. Need help please. She is 6 years old and pregnant.
Answer:Without looking at her test results (and her) it's hard for me to advise you. If they didn't already do it, giving her activated charcoal (Toxiban) may help bind up the toxin. The problem is you would need to do it soon for it to help and finding it may be a problem. You can call and ask the vet that saw her if they would sell you some - they would also know if it would be appropriate based on her history, physical exam and blood work.
Question:how long after treatment will my dog be back normal
Answer:I need a little more information to help you - did you treat your dog with flea drop treatment? what was the active ingredient? how old is your dog? does he have any problems? what kind of adverse reactions did he/she have?