My Account

Ask the Vet About Lymphoma in Dogs and Cats

Lymphoma in Dogs and Cats
Symptoms & Diagnosis
Treatment
Ask the Vet
Ask the Vet About Lymphoma (Lymphosarcoma) in Dogs and Cats
Dr. Michael Dym
Dr. Michael Dym
VMD, Veterinarian
Google+
DoctorDym.com

As a practicing veterinarian, Dr. Dym has over 19 years of experience and dedication to enhancing the overall health and well-being of pets. His commitment and passion for pet health continuously drives him to learn more about the art and science of homeopathy through ongoing training and education.

Submit Your Question

Showing 1 - 15 of 285
Page 1 of 20
Showing 1 - 15 of 285
Page 1 of 20
Date: 11/03/16
Category: Other
Pet Type: Dog
Topic: Knot On Tail

Question:Hi My Dog Is An Boston Terrior She Has A Knot On Her Tail. She 12 Years Old And The Knot Does Not Bother Her. But We Are Very Concerned. What Could It Be. Cancer We Were Thinking A Fatty Tissue?

Answer:Hard To Tell Without Directly Examining Dog And Lump. See Vet In Your Area Who Can Assess, As Well As Perform Needle Aspiration For Proper Diagnosis If Needed

Date: 10/23/16
Category: First Aid
Pet Type: Dog
Topic: Treatment

Question:8 Year Old Golden Retriever Diagnosed 3 Days Ago With Mammary Tumor. Have An Appointment For Tomorrow But She Is Acting Very Weak, Vomiting Occasionally And Generally No Looking Good. Today Is Sunday And Can't Find Anyone To See Her. She Was Given Prednisone For 2 Days Then Told To Take Off It Due To Test For Cancer Being Given On Monday. Can I Wait One More Day To Have Her Seen. Will Stopping Prednisone Cause Her To Be Worse?

Answer:Sounds Like She Needs Vet Exam Asap. I Would Use Famotadine Or Pepcid At Dose Of One Half Mg Per Pound Twice Daily Until You Can See Vet

Date: 10/20/16
Category: Other
Pet Type: Cat
Topic: Vomiting Fluid

Question:My 11 Year Old Cat Has Been Vomiting Fluid Every Few Days For The Last 3 Weeks. Maybe A Tablespoon Or So Of Liquid. She Went For Her Annual Work Up Last Week And Had The Whole Nine Yards. They Said All Her Tests (x Rays, Blood Work, Urine/fecal,Etc) All Came Back Great And She Looks Great For Her Age. They Commented That It Could Just Be Some Phlegm And Were Not Concerned. Tonight She Just Threw Up Pink Fluid Which I Haven't Seen Before And Then Immediately Went To The Litter Box And Had A Loose Bowl Movement, Which Is Also Unusual For Her. I Have Taken Up Her Food And Left Clean Water Out. Thoughts? Suggestions? Should I Just Call My Vet In The Morning?

Answer:I Would Ask Vet To Run Specific Blood Test For Feline Pancreatitis I.e Feline Pli Test, As Pancreatitis Sometimes Has No Changes On Routine Blood Work. Also At This Point An Ultrasound Is Needed To Look More Closely At Organs. A More Complete Gi Workup Including Scoping Of Digestive Tract Also May Be Needed. She Likely Ahs Inflammatory Bowel Disease, As Well As Also Cancer Needs To Be Ruled Out As Well, Which Also Wont Show Up On Routine Blood Work, X Rays, Etc

Date: 10/04/16
Category: Other
Pet Type: Cat
Topic: Cat

Question:My Cat Has Sores All Over Her Body They Hurt Her Her Stomachs Sinking In And Her Hairs Coming Out And Sometimes She Pulls Out People Tell Me Cancer I Don't Know

Answer:I Would Not Assume Cancer. More Likely Is Underlying Allergy And Secondary Infection. I Would See Vet For Exam And Proper Diagnosis. She May Need A Cortisone Shot And Antibiotics

Date: 09/25/16
Category: Other
Pet Type: Cat
Topic: Cancer

Question:My Cat Has Been Acting Different Like Sleeping More And We Have Been Watching Her While She Eats To Make Sure She Is Eating Fine. Before My Old Cat Died Of Cancer She Was Acting Similar To How My Cat Is Acting Now. Does She Have Cancer Or Is She Sick?

Answer:Hard To Say Without Complete Exam And Workup. Please Take This Cat To Vet For Diagnostic Assessment For Appropriate Treatment Plan. I Would Not Assume Cancer. Plenty Of Other Possibilities

Date: 09/02/16
Category: Other
Pet Type: Dog
Topic: Food For Cancer Ridden Dog

Question:My Cockapoo Is Terminal With Liver Cancer Which May Have Spread. He's Not Eating Much. I Gave Him Some Liver Sausage To Supplement The Iron He's Not Getting. Upon Eating It He Was Back To His Old Self. My Vet Said Pork Is Bad For His Liver. Can I Give Him The Liver Sausage He Loves Or Will It Cause Pain Or A Greater Inflammation Leading To A Potential Tear In The Liver That Could Cause Him Bleeding Out?

Answer:I Would Not Give Liver Sausage Like This, Unless It Has Been Cleared By Your Vet, Who Knows His Medical History Well. Consider Home Made Low Protein Liver And/or Kidney Diets In Book Dr Pitcairns Guide To Natural Health For Dogs And Cats By Richard Pitcairn, Dvm, Phd. Consulting A Holistic Vet In Your Area May Be Helpful As Well For Additional Suggestions

Date: 08/29/16
Category: Other
Pet Type: Cat
Topic: Protein Level

Question:I Have Had A Cbc Done On My Cat All Was Good But The Protein Level So We Thought Cancer We Done Ultra Sound Xrays Checked His Lymph Nodes All Was Good But My Cat Will Not Eat Very Well I Am Very Worried If He Had This Rare Myeloma Would Some Of His Test Showed Up Something Out Of The Ordanary Can It Be Something Else Bad Infection Or Something Please Help

Answer:I Would Ask Your Vet For Referral To Vet Internist Or Specialist In Your Area For Expert Opinion On This Complex Situation. If Appetite Stimulant Needed In Meantime, Ask Your Vet About Prescription Medication Like Mirtazipine

Date: 08/07/16
Category: Other
Pet Type: Dog
Topic: Spay Surgery And Tcc

Question:One Of The Articles On The Site Related To This On (canine Care, The Ultimate Pet Health Resource) Says That With Bladder Cancer (tcc) In Dogs That There Should Never Be An Invasive Surgery Of Any Kind. My Situation Is Tricky That My Dog Has Tcc, But She Also Had An Open Pyometria That Of Course Some Drained. However It Is Still There (uterus Is Septic) So She Needs To Be Spayed Before Her Next Heat As She Will Not Live Throug It. The Vets Think She Has 3 To Six Months To Live (hopefully More). So We Figure That The Pyo Would Get Her First Over The Tcc. So I Really Have No Choice At This Point. I Guess I Won't Get An Answered From You For Awhile (today Is Sunday August 7); But She Is Scheduled For This Spat Surgery Tomorrow. I Really Elated Your Opinion As To Whether This Would Disrupt The Tcc And Start It To Spread Or Grow Faster. I Really Understand That This Is Thie Risk I Have To Take To Give Her The Best Quality Of Life. I Am Trying So Hard To Do The Right Thing.i Would Also Really Still Value Your Opinion, So I Know As Much As I Can For What To Look For In The After Surgery Part (post Surgery). Thank You, And I Really Hope I Hear From You Soon

Answer:Sorry For Your Dilemma. Not Easy Situation And No Black Or White Right Or Wrong Answer. I Would Be Worried About Stress, Etc Of Surgery Now, Possibly Triggering The Tcc To Get Worse. Maybe Ask About Iv Baytril And Other Antibiotics For Stabilization As Possible Alternative To Pyometra Surgery. I Would Ask Vet About Consult With Vet Internist In Medicine As There Are Prostaglandin Treatments That Are Sometimes Used As Alternative To Spay For Pyometra And Might Be Worth Asking About

Date: 07/08/16
Category: Vaccines
Pet Type: Dog
Topic: Rabies Shot

Question:Hello I Have A 8 Month Old Saint Bernard And She Just Got Her Rabies Shots Three Days Ago. Now She's Panting A Lot And Breathing Really Fast But She Is Drinking Water And Eating. Also She Did Throw Up Right After The Shot. She Hasn't Lost Energy At All But I Just Want To Know If I Should Take Her To The Vet?

Answer:If Signs Persist Or Worsen, See Your Vet. This Is Obviously A Very Immunologically Sensitive Pet, So You May Want To Work With Or Consult With A More Holistically Trained Veterinarian Moving Forward Www.doctordym.com As This Large Breed Is Very Prone To Chronic Immune Disorders And/or Cancer If Overvaccinated And/or Treated With Too Many Chemicals, Pesticides, Etc A More Natural Holistic Diet Is Also Recommended As Well

Date: 07/07/16
Category: Skin Care
Pet Type: Dog
Topic: Skin Spot

Question:My Puppy Is A 9 Month Old Bichon X Yorkie And She Has Developed A Small Pea Sized Spot. That's Skin Coloured It Has Not Bothered Her Or Caused Any Pain It Has Got Bigger And Looks Like It's Going To Pop We Squeezed It A Little Bit And Only Abit Of Blood Come Out So We Cleaned It Up And Left It..just Wondering What It Could Be? We Have Thought Of Cancer (at First) But It Does Look Like Its Filled With Fluid? But I'm Not Sure

Answer:Most Likely An Immune Mediated Cyst And Not Cancer. Foreign Bodies Under The Skin And/or Immune Shot Reactions, Etc Are Also Possible. Best To See Vet For Evaluation, Etc As Sometimes They Can Get Secondarily Infected And Need Antibiotics, Etc

Date: 06/24/16
Category: Other
Pet Type: Cat
Topic:  Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Congestive Heart Failure

Question:On 2/2/16 We Found A Stray Street Cat That Was Barely Clinging To Life, Just Days After We Had A 3 Feet Snow Storm In Brooklyn,Ny We Called Her Stormy. We Rushed Stormy To The Vet, She Weighed 3.3 Lbs,Believed To Be 8 Yeas Old Best Guess Blood Work Was Done, The Vet Said She Barely Had Any Blood Is Was Water And She Had An Infection On Her Face Was The Size Of A Golf Ball, The Vet Did Emergency Surgory And Put Drainage Tubes In Her Face. Stormy Had Severe Dehydration And Malnutrition, And Nearly No Red Blood Count The Anemia Was So Bad. She Showed Good Kidney Function. We Were Told There Was A Small Chance Of Survival But There Was A Chance And We Decided To Give It To Her. The First Couple Of Weeks Are A Blur, We Cried So Many Tears For Her. We Conquered The Dehydration And Malnutrition But The Anemia Improvements Came Along Slower. The Cardiologist Diagnosed Her With Feline Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy /congestive Heart Failure, She Was Put On Fluorimide Twice A Day, Also Twice A Day Antibiotics For 4 Months. Also Being On A Water Pill While Fighting Dehydration With A Cat That Would Not Drink Water At All Was Difficult. From Day One I Feed Stormy 12 Meals A Day And Added At Least 1 Ounce Of Water To Each Meal..it Was Working. Fast Forward 2 Days Ago, I Have Had Stormy For 5 Months Now , Still Giving Medications, Still Feeding 12 Meals A Day, She Weighs 8.5 Lbs, Blood Work And Kidney Levels Almost Normal,Breathing Steady At 30 Breaths Per Minute. Out Of No Where Stormy Has A Severe Seizure It Was Violent, She Was Rushed To Her Vet, I Was Told Monitor Her It May Not Happen Again. Stormy Had 8 Seizures In The Next 24 Hours, It Was Horrible, And Each Seizure Was Different Yet Severe. Her Breaths Seem To Be Over 100 During The Seizure, To Rapid To Count And After Would Drop To 20 For An Hour Or So Until She Came Back. Yesterday My Vet Said They Were Too Busy To See Her, Take Her To Emergency. Took Her To Emergency And The Vet That Looked At Her For The First Time Said She Did Not Know Why She Had Seizures But She Now Has Breast Cancer Which Her Nipples And Tumors Had To Be Removed..also Stormy Was Never Fixed And Was Going Into Heat 2 Weeks On And 2 Weeks Off, We Were Still Unsure At This Point If She Could Be Fixed, We Would Have Found Out At Her Cardiologist Follow Up Next Week. We Went To The Emergency Doctor With Intentions Of Putting Stormy To Sleep, We Did Not Want Her To Die A Horrible Death At Home, But The Vet Said She Should Not Be Put Down, She Urged Us To Drop Her At A Homeless Shelter, This Was More Shocking To Hear To Drop Her At A Shelter??vet Refused To Put Her Down. We Came Home With Stormy Feeling So Beat Up By This Young Female Doctor. Within An Hour Of Being Home Stormy Had A Massive Seizure, Number 9. She Was Running, Throwing Her Self Into Walls, Screaming Foaming At The Mouth All While Violently Shaking Worse Than Any Other Time, She Was Different After This One, Lasted 10 Minutes And After It Was Over She Was Trembling For Another 20 Minutes,Like She Was Vibrating. We Rushed Her Back To Emergency Where We Had To Beg And Plead With This Doctor To Put Her Down Before Another One Started, She Absolutely Refused And Said We Had To Give The Neutering And Cancer Surgury A Try..we Could Not Due This To Our Precious Baby. After Begging For Hours And Refusing To Leave, Fearing If I Put Her In Her Carrier She Would Seize In It. Stormy Was Put Down. My Question Is I Am So Destroyed And Broken Over This, Do You Have Any Idea Why The Seizures, Could She Have Been Saved , She Was My Baby And I Could Never Hurt Her. Please If You Have Any Insight On This, Please I Need To Know . Thank You Donna

Answer:So Sorry For What Happened. Seizures In Young Cats Can Have Many Causes From Viruses Like Fip In Brain To Other Infections Like Toxoplasmosis And Others, Including Felv/fiv Virus Etc. Seizures Can Also Be Due To Low Blood Flow To Brain From Heart Disease, As Well As Even Metabolic Diseases Of Liver, Etc. A Full Veterinary Internist And/or Neurologist Specialist Would Have Been Needed To Consult With To Rule These Out

Date: 06/23/16
Category: Other
Pet Type: Cat
Topic: Felv

Question:I Work With An Animal Rescue Group And I Am Helping To Tnr A Colony Of Cats. So Far We Have Done 8 Cats And 2 Tested Positive For Felv. There Is A Litter Of Kittens That We Thought Belonged To A Negative Cat, However, After The 2 Positives I Tested 1 Of The Kittens And It Was Also Positive. I Am Testing The Other 5 Tomorrow. 1 Is A Single Kitten And The Other 5 I Thought Were A Litter But 2 Are Smaller. My Question Is Since There Is Felv In The Colony Will All The Kittens Most Likely Test Positive? If The Kittens Test Positive Could They Test Negative In 8wks? I Am Debating Whether To Give Them A Shot Or Assune A Positive Test At This Point Is Definitive. Other People In The Group Think It Could Be A False Negative However I Am Not So Skeptical Given The Test Results Of 2 Adults. Also, It States That The Test Can Be Positve With An Exposure But The Immune System Can Still Fight It Off. At What Point Is The Kitten Shedding The Virus? When Should The Kittens Be Retested? If Any Are Negative Tomorrow I Will Seperate Them From The Others However Im Not Sure Ar This Point If They Will Help The Negative Ones. Any Advice Is Appreciated. Angela

Answer:These Are All Hard Answer Completely On This Brief Forum Here. All Cats Who Test Positive With In House Veterinary Elisa Tests Should Either Be Confirmed With An Ifa Blood Test Sent Out To Lab Or A Pcr Test, Which Is Usually The Gold Standard Of Diagnosis. Some Cats Who Test Positive On The Veterinary Office Elisa Test Can Clear The Infection Before It Gets To Bone Marrow Over 90 Days, So You May Want To Either Retest Positive Cats With Ifa Or Pcr Test In 3 Months Or You Can Confirm The Current Elisa Positive Tests Now With Either Ifa Or Pcr Testing. If The Ifa Or Pcr Tests Are Positive(sent To Outside Labs), Then Those Kittens Usually Are Infected For Life And Have A High Liklihood Of Contracting An Felv Related Immunosuppressive Illness Or Cancer Within A Few Years. I Would Not Vaccinate The Positive Cats On The Elisa Test.. Virus Is Usually Shed "once The Ifa Or Pcr Tests Are Confirmed Positive On These Cats

Date: 06/21/16
Category: Other
Pet Type: Cat
Topic: Lump On Back Of Cat's Neck

Question:I Have An 8 Year Old Russian Blue Cat Who Was Never Sick A Day In Her Life Until She Had A Lump On The Back Of Her Neck 4 Months Ago, Which Turned Out To Be A Sarcoma Type Cancer. The Vet Removed The Lump Saying That It Had Clean Edges And She Got It All Out. Now 4 Months Later, Her Scar Tissue Was 2 Small Lumps Where The Tumor Was Removed And Now The Exact Same Thing Has Happened In The Same Spot, Only This Time She Is Acting Normal (eating, Sleeping, Drinking Water And Playing) When Before She Hid Under The Bed And Would Not Come Out For Meals, Etc. Is It Possible That It Is The Cancer Again In The Exact Same Spot Even Though The Doctor Said She Was All Clear? She Has A Vet Appointment For This Saturday (6/25/2016) Any Help Is Appreciated!! Thanks - Amanda

Answer:Very Well Could Be Recurrence Or New Cancer Growth. I Would Ask Your Vet For Referral To Vet Specialist Or Oncologist In Your Area For Expert Opinion, As Well As You Will Need Exact Tissue Biopsy Report From First Surgery, Which Will Likely Determine Long Term Treatment Plan Here

Date: 05/30/16
Category: Other
Pet Type: Dog
Topic: Prostrate Cancer

Question:My 11-year-old Male Dog Was Diagnosed A Few Months Ago With Prostate Surrounding Internal Organs Cancer. He Is Taking Piroxicam. It Is Inoperable. At This Time, He Is Eating Well And His Bodily Functions Are Still Normal. However, He Has Always Been, And Still Is, Very Friendly And Non-aggressive To Any Animal, Person, Bird, Cat....anything, And Mostly Other Dogs Are Friendly To Him. I Have Noticed That These Last Couple Of Months, He Still Behaves The Same And Other Dogs Still Approach But, Within Seconds, The Dogs Now Become Agitated And Bark At Him And Almost Attack Him. My Question: Could The Other Dogs Become Aggressive Because Of An Odor Or Something From The Cancer, The Medicine Or Both? If Not, What Can Cause This Reaction Now That Has Not Occurred Before?

Answer:Not Likely Due To Odor From Cancer Or The Piroxicam. Other Dogs May Be Responding To Him, Because Of Hormonal Factors Being Released By The Cancer Or Prostate Gland

Date: 05/30/16
Category: Allergy
Pet Type: Dog
Topic: Apoquel

Question:I Have Been Advised To Give My 8 Year Old Havanese 1/2 Of 3.6 Mg Of Apoquel Each Day For Her Allergies. It Is Working Very Well. I Have Just Read That Apoquel Can Cause Cancer. Please Advise. Thank You.

Answer:As Far As We Know, Apoquel Does Not Cause Cancer Only If A Pet Has A History Of Cancer In Its Medical History, Should Apoquel Be A Consideration Not To Use, Since It May Exascerbate Already Pre Existing Tendencies. However If There Is No History Of Cancer In The Pet, Then It Is Likely Safe To Use Long Term, As Far As We Know At This Time

Showing 1 - 15 of 285
Page 1 of 20
Showing 1 - 15 of 285
Page 1 of 20
Close
Share Website Feedback
Name:
Email:
Phone:
Feedback:
"