Silver Sulfadiazine Cream 1% is a topical antibacterial cream used to prevent burns from becoming infected. Silver Sulfadiazine Cream 1% offers protection against yeast infections and a broad range of bacterial strains, including common strains like E-coli and Staph. Silver Sulfadiazine Cream 1% requires a prescription from your veterinarian.
For: Dogs, Cats, and Horses
Prevents bacteria from forming in burns on the skin
Helps decrease healing time
How it works:
Silver Sulfadiazine has antimicrobial properties. It is effective against yeast and bacteria, and helps wounds and burns heal faster.
Silver Sulfadiazine Cream 1% should not be used on animals who are allergic to sulfur or sulfa drugs, or on pregnant or nursing animals. It is for use on skin only; do not put in or around your pet's eyes.
Brand Name Silvadene (Aventis), Thermazine (Kendall)
Generic Name Silver Sulfadiazine
What is this medication used for: Silver Sulfadiazine, a sulfa drug, is used to prevent and treat infections of second and third degree burns. This medication is sometimes prescribed for other uses. Check with the prescriber or a pharmacist.
Availability: Silver Sulfadiazine is a prescription medication available as a cream.
How this medicine should be used: Silver sulfadiazine is usually applied once or twice a day. Use this product exactly as directed.
What are the side effects: Although side effects from this product are not common, they can occur. Symptoms that can occur include pain, burning, and itching.
What special precautions are there: Silver sulfadiazine should not be used in animals allergic to it or other sulfa drugs. Use with caution in pregnant or lactating females.
In the event of an overdose: Contact your veterinarian or veterinary emergency room.
How should I store this medication: Keep this medication in the container it came in, tightly closed and out of the reach of children or pets. Store at room temperature away from excess heat and moisture. Do not store in the bathroom. Throw away any medication that is outdated or no longer needed.
Silver Sulfadiazine Cream 1% is a prescription antibacterial medication that is used topically on burns to prevent and treat bacterial and yeast infections.
Before treating your pet with Silver Sulfadiazine Cream 1%, wash your hands and then clean the affected area of your pet's skin as directed by your veterinarian. Once your pet's wound is clean, wash your hands thoroughly again and put on sterile disposable gloves. This is to avoid introducing additional bacteria and other infective agents into the burned area of your pet's skin.
Apply the cream once or twice a day, as directed. After application, you may leave the wound uncovered, or cover it with a sterile gauze bandage. It is important that your pet's burn be covered with the cream at all times, so if the cream rubs off on a bandage, your pet's bedding or other cloth, you may need to reapply the cream. Always reapply cream if your pet bathes or gets wet.
Tip: Give this medication exactly as directed by your veterinarian. Wear sterile gloves while applying, and apply only to cleaned areas.
Following your veterinarian's directions, apply enough cream to cover the burn wounds in a layer about 1/16th of an inch thick. For reference, a penny is approximately 1/16th of an inch thick. Continue to apply cream to your pet for as long as you've been directed to by your veterinarian even if your pet's burn appears to have greatly improved. However, do not continue application longer than directed.
Storage: Store at room temperature away from moisture and heat. Keep out of reach of children.
Silver Sulfadiazine Cream 1%
Base consisting of Water, Stearyl alcohol NF, White Petrolatum USP, Polyoxyl 40 Stearate NF, Propylene Glycol USP, Isopropyl Myristate NF, Sorbitan MonoleateNF, with 0.3% Methylparaben NF as preservative.
Silver Sulfadiazine Cream 1%
I use this on my horse when he gets cut, bitten and his hide ripped off him from the other horses due to very rough play, or for very nasty bug bites, too much butt rubbing against a barn or fence and it becomes red, bloody and swollen. He heals in no time fast. I have never seen anything like it. I highly recommend this product. Just make sure that you clean the infected area as good as you can before application.
After application, you may leave the wound uncovered, or cover it with a sterile gauze bandage and also following any specific directions from your veterinarian. It is important that your pet's burn be covered with the cream at all times, so if the cream rubs off on a bandage, your pet's bedding or other cloth, you may need to reapply the cream. Always reapply cream if your pet bathes or gets wet.
This information sheet is for educational purposes only and is intended to be a supplement to, and not a substitute for, the expertise and professional judgment of your veterinarian. The information is NOT to be used for diagnosis or treatment of your pet. You should always consult your own veterinarian for specific advice concerning the treatment of your pet. The information is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, warnings, allergic reactions, drug interactions or adverse effects, nor should it be construed to indicate that use of a particular drug is safe, appropriate or effective for your pet. It is not a substitute for a veterinary exam, and it does not replace the need for services provided by your veterinarian. Note: Any trademarks are the property of their respective companies.