|Dental | Ear | Eye | Flea and Tick | Heartworm | Joints | Medications | Pain | Skin and Coat | Supplies | Vitamins | Specials|
Heart Blood Pressure
Urinary Tract and Kidneys
Non-Prescription Dog Flea Meds
If you have dogs, you know that fleas thrive in warmer weather. To keep those pesky fleas off your dog, it’s important to implement a flea control program before you notice fleas on your dog. Because there are so many dog flea meds on the market, it can be confusing to choose the best dog flea meds for your own pet. To assist you in selecting the best dog flea meds, here is a summary of the most popular non-prescription dog flea meds:
Topical dog flea meds
Spot-on dog flea meds are a favorite with pet guardians because they are effective, fast-acting and easy to use. This type of dog flea meds is applied to your dog’s skin once per month. Some of the most popular brands of topical dog flea meds include:
- K9 Advantix: Kills and repels all stages of the flea life cycle (adult fleas, flea eggs, flea larvae) as well as ticks and mosquitoes. K9 Advantix is manufactured by Bayer.
- Advantage: Kills, but does not repel, all stages of the flea life cycle. Advantage does not treat ticks or mosquitoes. Advantage is also manufactured by Bayer.
- Frontline Plus: Kills all stages of the flea life cycle, as well as ticks. Also kills chewing lice. This product is manufactured in France by Merial.
- Flea4X: Has a 4-way action which kills fleas, ticks, mosquitoes and chewing lice, as well as controlling mites that may cause sarcoptic mange. While Flea4X has the same active ingredient as Frontline Top Spot, it costs much less than Frontline. This dog flea medication is manufactured in the United States.
Oral dog flea meds
If you prefer not to use a topical dog flea meds for your pet, there are oral dog flea meds you may use instead for flea control in dogs. Capstar is an unflavored tablet that kills adult fleas within 30 minutes. Keep in mind that Capstar is not effective beyond 24 hours after dosing, so it is best combined with Program. Program is another oral dog flea medication that prevents the development of flea eggs, thereby breaking the flea life cycle.
Other OTC dog flea meds
Many pet guardians are looking for a product to control fleas in dogs that can be removed when necessary. The Scalibor Protector Band is a collar that controls fleas and ticks in dogs for up to 6 months. Similarly, the Bio Spot Flea & Tick collar provides 5 months of continuous protection against fleas and ticks. Both of these collars are waterproof.
Still having trouble choosing the best dog flea meds?
Our flea & tick product comparison center may help you decide on the best dog flea meds for you own pet.
- Dog Flea Meds Not Working?
- Tips for Applying Topical Dog Flea Meds
- K9 Advantix II: Frequently Asked Questions
- Is Frontline the Right Choice for My Pet?
- Cat Fleas: Treatment Options
Tags: dog flea meds