As a practicing veterinarian, Dr. Dym has over 19 years of experience and dedication to enhancing the overall health and well-being of pets. His commitment and passion for pet health continuously drives him to learn more about the art and science of homeopathy through ongoing training and education.Submit Your Question
Question:I have a 7 yr old 6 lb. Chihuahua mini Pinscher mix. About 3-4 years ago when we got her she was tested for Lyme and she had high levels in her blood. (She had not been vaccinated for it and was not sick from it) She was treated for 30 days with antibiotics and then retested a few months later. The levels were high so she was given another course of antibiotics. At the time the dr. recommended waiting a little while before retesting. What would you recommend at this point?
Answer:Everything you have done so far seems appropriate. I would wait as well as long as she feels fine because she will still test positive right after the antibiotics are finished.
Question:I have a three year old cat who is showing symptoms of lyme disease. Many doctors are telling me cats can't get lyme disease and that there are no tests for cats. He started out sleeping a lot, not eating normally and then a few days later had a limp. The limp still hasn't gone away and seems to be worse after laying longer. Today I noticed he was holding his front paw up instead of the back. He has also had a fever. He is an inside cat but my husband and I are very active and hike or bike whenever we can. Is it possible that he could have lyme disease or do cats not get lyme disease? Thanks.
Answer:Very good question - the best answer is: Although the bacteria that causes Lyme disease is capable of infecting cats, the disease has never been documented in a cat outside of a laboratory setting. We don't really know why we don't see Lyme disease in cats - I think it's because cats are such fastidious groomers that they remove the tick in a lot less time (probably within minutes) than it takes for the tick to transmit the disease (about 24 hours).
Question:My 7 year old standard poodle is suspect for lyme disease despite 2 negative snap tests. She has acute swelling in 3 of her 4 limbs with pitting edema fever lethargy poor appetite. She spent night in hospital first night for iv fluids and started on doxycyline and clavamox. She also had gastric distress with an ulcer so she is prilosec, carafate, flagyl,and misoprostol.She looks absolutely miserable. She doesnt want to stand I have gotten her to take applesauce and some boiled beef but very small amounts. My vet saw her today and sent out a more definitive test for lymes but agreed to continue treatment. Her kidney and liver funtion tests were normal 2 days ago. The swelling seems worse today instead of better. And she still has a fever today. Any thoughts?
Answer:It does sound like Lyme disease. It will take a while for the medications to start to work. It's like with people and Lyme disease - it can take weeks for them to go back to normal. It can still be many other things that I don't want to unnecessarily worry you with until that test comes back especially because I haven't seen her and done a physical on her and listened to her heart, etc. It sounds like your veterinarian is taking good care of her.
Question:should I have my dog vaccinated for Lyme Disease. I heard the side effects are horrible. I don't want to hurt my dog. He is a Puppy (9 months old) and he is scheduled for one on Thus. Feb. 23. He is basically a house dog. I live in Rutherford, NJ in Bergen County. What should I do Doctor?
Answer:I live and practice in Georgia, so we don't see Lyme Disease very often down here BUT many studies are showing it creeping down here so we are starting to vaccinate more often even down here. You are so close to Connecticut, I would definitely vaccinate my own dog up there. If he is done with with his puppy vaccines and he only needs the Lyme vaccine, it's really a perfect time to give it to him. We see a lot more adverse/allergic reactions to vaccines when many different vaccines are given at the same time.
Question:My mini poodle puppy 6 months, had his Lyme disease vaccine today 11:00. He threw up in office. Seemed fine afterwards. I came home at 5:30 and he is hot, not eating, very sleepy and limping and whining. Is this a normal side effect?? I've never had a pet before. I called petsmart and they r gone for day.
Answer:This is NOT a normal side effect of a vaccination. I am NOT a fan of this vaccination, which has never been shown to be effective or safe in my experience and opinion, as well as even in people, as Lyme disease is more of an autoimmune disease in those patients afflicted with it. I would return to vet for recheck. I would SKIP this vaccination in the future. My professor from Penn and world renowned lyme disease expert Meryl Littman, VMD does NOT recommend lyme vaccination. If your pet has any remaining chronic residual reactions from this vaccination, I would recommend a consult, with preferably a homeopathic or holistic vet, who are best trained to treat these type of situations. To learn more, see www.doctordym.com Many homeopathic vets offer phone consultations
Question: I have recently taken in a stray yellow lab. She is between 6 and 7 years old. After taking her to a vet they found that she has lyme disease. She has already taken 30 days of antibiotics and test results show that her protein levels are high in her blood and urine (unchanged from initial tests). After our vet consulted another vet it was recommended to start her on Enalopril 10 mg. After doing a small amount of research, I am unsure if this is the correct direction to take as she already urinates frequently and drinks a lot. What would you recommend I do?
Answer:I would follow the directions of your local vet. Enalopril is sometimes indicated in dogs with chronic lyme disease nephropathy of the kidneys. I would ask your vet for referral to vet specialist in your area who can offer expert opinion. I also find that omega 3 fatty acid supplementation can help such as Be well from 1800petmeds. Also consider consulting with holistic vet, who also may be helpful in case like this. To learn more see www.doctordym.com Many offer phone consultations
Question:My dog Diesel tested positive for Lyme disease. We noticed something was wrong when we changed dog food and he refused to eat. After the vet ran initial tests it was found that he had a kidney infection and liver damage, as well as the Lyme disease. He was put on Doxycycline about a week and a half ago and did not seem to improve. We are taking home to the vet every day for a steroid to imrprove his appetite, but he will only eat sometimes. The antibiotics should have worked by now from my understanding... I feel like I'm losing him....I'm wondering if something else related to Lyme is causing damage. Is there anything else we can try?
Answer:I would ask your vet for consult with vet internist in your area to make sure complete workup has been done. Make sure urine protein/creatinine ratios are measured as well as periodic BUN/creatinine, blood protein levels to assess for ongoing damage. Drugs like ACE inhibitors such as benazopril and/or omega 3 fatty acid supplementation may help like be well from 1800petmeds. I would also consider consulting with holistic vet who can offer additional approaches To learn more see www.doctordym.com Many holistic vets offer phone consultations.
Question:Hi Doctor, i Am Writing In To Ask For Your Advice. When We Were Visiting The Washington Dc Area In The Beginning Of July, Our Two 10lb Chinese Crested Dogs Each Got Approximately 30 Or So Ticks On Them. We Tried As Best We Could To Remove All Of Them Within 24 Hours, But Some Were Probably On For 48. We May Have Missed Some. (one Dog Is Hard To Check As She Is Super Sensitive.) because They Each Had So Many Ticks On Them, We Gave Them Doxycycline (i Think It Was 20mg Two Times Per Day) For Two Weeks. It Has Been About A Month Since They Were Off The Doxy And About A Month And A Half Since The Initial Incident Happened. We Now Live In Dc And Have Been Checking Every Night For Ticks. Luckily, We Haven't Found Any Ticks On The Dogs. i Am Writing To Ask Several Things: (1) First Of All, Should The Dogs Be Tested For Lyme And Various Other Tick Bourne Illnesses Even Though They Were On The Antibiotic? (2) They Are Due For Revaccination Of Lyme About A Month From Now. If We Take Them To The Vet In The Next Few Days To Have Them Tested For Lyme, Is It Ok If We Vaccinate Them For Lyme A Month Early? (3) If Their Initial Lyme Vaccine, The Booster, And The Next Years Vaccine Were All A Form Of The Killed Virus, Is It Ok That Their Vaccine Isn't A Killed Virus But Instead An Antibody Based Vaccine? (we Moved And The Vet That We Are Thinking Of Going To Has A Different Vaccine.) (4) I Keep Being Nervous That My Dog Is Limping, But I Really Can't Tell. If She Were Limping Or Having Stiff Joints Due To The Lyme, Would It Be Apparent? She May Just Be Walking Oddly Because Our New Apartment Has Wood Floors And She Slips. i Really Appreciate Your Time And Feedback.
Answer:Thank You For Your Questions. All Of These Questions Are Quite Variable In Their Answer, Depending On The Particular Veterinarian You Consult With, Etc As There Is No Black Or White Traditional Answer For These. Most Allopathic Veterinary Experts Dont Even Recommend Lyme Vaccination, Including Renowned Lyme Disease Expert And My Former Professor At Penn Meryl Littman, Vmd, Who Is Against Lyme Vaccination, Because Of The Potential Autoimmune Nature Of This Disease In Animals, As Well As The Fact That The Vast Majority Of Dogs Who Are Exposed To Lyme Disease Never Get Sick, Even Though They May Test Positive On In House Vet Lab Quick Lyme/heartworm Checks. In Fact, As You May Read, Lyme Disease Is Way Overdiagnosed By My Traditional Veterinary Colleagues. Treatment With Doxycycline Can Never Hurt, Accept For Rare Digestive Upset. Doxycycline Can Also Help Limping Through Its Anti Inflammatory Effect On The Bone As Well, Which Does Not Mean It Is Helping By Killing Lyme Bacteria. I Am A Conservative Veterinarian When It Comes To This Lyme Vaccination, And Dont Recommend It, As There Have Been Chronic Complications From The Old Lyme Vaccination In People, And In My Experience And Opinion, Even In The Animals I Have Seen In Practice Over 25 Years, And From My Experience Of Practicing In Lyme Hot Bed Of The Northeast Much Of That Time. You Could Consider More Accurate Clinical Testing That Has Recently Developed Including Pcr Testing And/or C6 Antibody Testing Which Most Vets Can Send Off To An Outside Laboratory. More Importantly In Animals Exposed To Lyme Disease, It Is Probably A Better Use Of Your Money To Have A Urine Protein/creatinine Ratio, As That A Unique Form Of Kidney Disease, Where Protein Is Lost Through The Urine Is Truly The Only Really Very Rare Complication Of Lyme Exposure, And Most Of These Cases Are In Certain Breeds Such As Retrievers Or Shelties, Which May Have A Genetic Predisposition To This Very Rare Lyme Exposure Condition. So Please Try And Have Peace Of Mind, And Not Get Caught Up In The Scare Of Testing And Overtreating For This Condition. I Hope This Helps Good Luck
Question:My Friends Pup Was Recently Diagnosed With Lymes Disease And The Vet Treated It With Antibiotics But It Had An Allergic Reaction To The Antibiotics And Went Into Seizures. I Am Wondering What Other Treatments Could Be Used On A Dog That Can't Take Antiobiotics As Treatment For Lymes?
Answer:I Would Not Assume This Is From Lyme Disease Or That Diagnosis Is Correct As Many Vets Overdiagnose Lyme Disease Based On An Inhouse Blood Test. Pet Needs Vet Recheck And Full Workup For Seizures. May Needs Other Specific Seizure Meds Here Based On Workup
Question:I Have A 5 Year Old Pitbull/lab Mix Who My Vet Just Recently Told Us He More Than Likely Has A Nose Tumor. Back In December He Was Diagnosed With Lyme Disease And Was Treated For It. In January Henry Started Having Head Seizures Which Came On Very Quickly. He Was Treated With Phenobarbital And Prednisone And To All Of Our Amazement Henry Made A Complete Recovery. Not One Seizure And Was His Crazy Happy Self. 7 Months Later And He's Still The Same. The Vet Gradually Cut Down His Prednisone And About 2 Weeks Ago We Noticed Mucus Coming Out Of His Right Nostril, A Droopy Right Eye, And Muscle Loss On The Top Right Of His Head. That Is When She Came To The Conclusion He Had A Nose Tumor. She Upped His Prednisone Back And No More Mucus Of The Nose Or Droopy Eye. He Still Has Muscle Loss On The Right Side And Has Started Pawing On That Side Of His Face. I Was Looking On Here To See If I Could Hear Other Opinions, Hopefully It Could Be Something Else Besides A Tumor? ..
Answer:I Would Recommend A Consultation With A Veterinary Internist Or Specialist In Internal Medicine In Your Area. I Would Ask Your Vet For A Referral Who Can Review The Complex Case History And Workup To Date. Nasal X Rays Under Sedation And/or Scoping Of Nasal Passages And/or Biopsy Of Affected Tissues May Be Needed For Diagnosis In Case Like This. I Would Not Keep Just Going Up And Down On Prednisone Like This, Until You Get Definitive Diagnosis From A Specialist
Question:Hi I Have A 2 Yr Old Pit Bull, she Is Being Treated For A Lymes Disease Flare Up And She Has Been On Doxycycline For About 2 Weeks. I Need To Board Her For Our Vacation And She Needs That Vaccine. Can She Stop Taking The Antibiotic So She Can Get Her Shot Then Resume Treatment After The Shot Is Given? thanks!
Answer:I Would Not Recommend The Lyme Vaccination In A Dog Recently With Clinical Infection. This Vaccination Has Not Been Proven To Be Safe And/or Effective And Because Of The Autoimmune Tendency Seen In Lyme Disease, Vaccinating For This Condition Can Potentially Lead To Immune Mediated Joint And Other Diseases. Most Experts On Lyme Disease Dont Recommend The Vaccination. Finish The Antibiotic
Question:Which Doxycycline And What Is Dose For Lymes...my Dog Has Had It Before And Is Showing Same Symptoms
Answer:I Would Not Simply Redose Your Dog On Your Own, As It May Not Be Indicated And/or There May Be Another Clinical Explanation For Your Dog's Symptoms. Typical Dose Of Doxycycline For Dogs Who Are Suspected To Have Clinical Lyme Disease Is 5 Mg Per Pound Once To Twice Daily For 30 Days. Any Form Of Doxycycline Is Acceptable If Your Vet Prescribes It
Question:Hi My Grandmother Told Me The Other Day That A Vet Had Told Her Daughter The Owner Of Two Puppies From The Same Litter As My Grandmother's Puppies Had Lyme's Desiese And That The Whole Litter Could Have Been Exposed. My First Question Is.... Is It Possible To Inherit Lyme's Desirae Like My Grandmother Was Told? Also She Asked Me To Search Around For Some Medicine She Was Told That She Should Give The Puppies For 30 Days Before They Are A Year Old. My Second Question Is Should I Get That Medicine Or Should They Get A Vaccine? She Spent Have Much Money To Work With However I Want To Do The Right Thing And Help I Just Need A Little Education Before Taking Any Steps To Help My Grandmother
Answer:Actually, Lyme Disease Is Not Contagious Between Puppies And Is Not Inherited. It Is Transmitted By Bite Of Infected Tick. Many Vets Over Diagnose Lyme Disease, Based On In Office Screening Tests, Many Of Which Often Only Indicate Exposure In Past, And Not Necessarily Infection. A C6 Blood Test Or Pcr Lyme Test Sent To Lab Can Help Rule In Or Out Clinical Infection. I Dont Believe In The Vaccination For This Disease, As I Feel That Most Of This Disease Is Autoimmune In Basis, Which Is Potentially Worsened By Vaccination. In People, Lyme Vaccination Was Yanked Off Market Years Ago Due To Reactions. I Question The Long Term Safety As Well As Efficacy Of This Vaccination By My Colleagues.
Question:Hi Dr. Dym, I Have An 18 Month Old Female Hound/boxer Mix Named Nala. She Is Healthy With Normal Weight - 43 Lbs. I've Been Taking Her To Luv My Pet For Routine Vaccinations And Tests For 18 Months. I Had Her Tested For Heartworm, Erlichia, And Lyme On 7/6/13 And She Tested Positive For Lyme. I Have Had Her On Advantix Ii For The Past 6 Months And Had Used Hartz Previously. She Does Not Have Any Outward Signs Of The Disease Yet. I Took Her To A Local Veterinarian Today And He Prescribed 100mg Of Doxycycline 2x Day For 30 Days. This Is A Difficult Medication To Get And Is Quite Expensive. Is There An Alternative To Treating The Dog Naturally? If This Were Your Dog, What Would You Do? Thanks So Much For Your Time. Chris Denning
Answer:Hi Chris. Thanks For Your Excellent Questions. I Dont Recommend Treating Dogs For Lyme Disease Based On A Positive Test With No Symptoms. A Positive Test Only Means Exposure. If You Decide To Treat The Lab Values, Other Cheaper Antibiotics Like Amoxicillin Or Cephalexin Are Equally As Effective Against Lyme Disease. As For Natural Treatment I Would Boost Immune System With Herbs Like Olive Leaf As In The Product Olimune From Www.animalessentials.com Add Fatty Acids To Meals Like Super Pure Omega From 1800petmeds. I Also Love The Combination Antioxidant Product Called Canine Health From Life Vantage. To Learn More About This Great Product And To Order Go To Www.mylifevantage.com/drdym
Question:If My Dog Tested Negative And I Treat Him For Lyme Disease Will It Hurt Him?
Answer:Wont Hurt Him, But Why Treat Him If He Tested Negative.