What is Otomite Plus?
Otomite Plus eliminates ear mites from your cat or dog without irritation. The gentle, safe, effective and cost-efficient formula contains the highest levels of synergized pyrethrins available to rid your pet of the contagious parasite.
Cats and Kittens (over 12 weeks of age)
Dogs and Puppies (over 12 weeks of age)
- Non-irritating, non-greasy formula
- Safe for puppies and kittens 12 weeks and older
- Cost-efficient solution for ear mites
- Easy-to-apply drops
How it works:
Otomite Plus contains the highest levels of synergized pyrethrins available to eliminate ear mites without irritation. It is a non-greasy formula and applied directly in the ear. Use an ear cleanser prior to use (We recommend 1-800-PetMeds Ear Cleansing Solution.)
Harmful to humans and pets if swallowed. Avoid contact with skin, eyes and clothing. Avoid breathing vapors. Keep out of reach of children.
Otomite Plus Ear Miticide
Pyrethrins (0.15%), Piperonyl Butoxide Technical (1.50%), N-octyl bicycloheptene dicarboximide (0.48%).
What is this medication used for:
Otomite Plus contains pyrethrin, a parasiticide that kills ear mites.
Otomite Plus is a non-prescription (OTC) product.
How this medicine should be used:
Shake well before using. Cleanse ear thoroughly with a low pH ear cleanser. Place sufficient Otomite Plus in each ear to wet external ear canal, approximately at the rates of 1 drop per body weight for dogs (maximum 15), and 2 drops per pound of body weight for cats (maximum 10). Spread product inside ear canal by massaging the ear. Re-treat at least every 7 days, depending on the severity of the condition, but not more frequently than twice a week. If the condition does not resolve in 2 weeks, discontinue treatment and consult your veterinarian. If it is necessary to reuse an ear cleanser, re-treat with Otomite Plus.
What are the side effects:
Sensitivities may occur after using any parasiticide product for pets. If signs of sensitivity occur, discontinue use and consult a veterinarian immediately.
What special precautions are there:
HAZARDS TO HUMANS: Harmful if absorbed through the skin. Avoid contact with skin or clothing. Prolonged or frequently repeated skin contact may cause allergic reactions in some individuals. Avoid contamination of feed and foodstuffs.
HAZARDS TO DOMESTIC ANIMALS: FOR USE ON DOGS AND PUPPIES, CATS AND KITTENS ONLY. Do not apply to pets less than 12 weeks old. Consult a veterinarian before using this product on medicated, debilitated, aged, pregnant or nursing animals. Sensitivities may occur after using ANY pesticide product on pets. If signs of sensitivity occur, bathe your pet with mild soap and rinse with large amounts of water. If signs continue, consult your veterinarian immediately.
FIRST AID: If in eyes: Hold the eye open and rinse slowly and gently with water for 15-20 minutes. Remove contact lenses, if present, after the first 5 minutes, then continue rinsing eyes. Call a poison control center or doctor for treatment advice. If on Skin or Clothing: Take off contaminated clothing. Rinse skin immediately with plenty of water for 15-20 minutes. Call a poison control center or doctor for treatment advice. HOT LINE NUMBER: Have the product container or label with you when calling a poison control center or doctor, or going for treatment. You may also contact 1-800-345-4735 for emergency medical or veterinary treatment information.
ENVIRONMENTAL HAZARDS: This product is toxic to aquatic organisms, including fish and invertebrates. Do not contaminate water when disposing of equipment, washwater, or rinsate. See Directions for Use for additional precautions and requirements.
In the event of an overdose:
Contact your veterinarian immediately.
How should I store this medication:
KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN. Store in a cool, dry area. Do not contaminate water, food, or feed by storage and disposal.
- SHAKE WELL BEFORE USING.
- It is a violation of Federal Law to use this product in a manner inconsistent with its labeling.
- Cleanse ear thoroughly with a low pH ear cleanser (We recommend 1-800-PetMeds Ear Cleansing Solution.)
- Place sufficient Otomite Plus in each ear to wet external ear canal, according to Dosage Chart below.
- Spread the product inside the ear canal by massaging the ear.
- Re-treat at least every 7 days, depending on the severity of the condition, but not more frequently than twice a week.
- If the condition does not resolve in 2 weeks, discontinue treatment and consult your veterinarian.
- If it is necessary to reuse an ear cleanser, re-treat afterwards with Otomite Plus.
- Do not reuse empty container. Wrap container and put in trash (do not pour down drain).
Avoid breathing vapors. Wash hands thoroughly after handling.
12 weeks of age or older
Place sufficient Otomite Plus in each ear to wet external ear canal, approximately 1 drop for each pound of body weight (maximum 15).
12 weeks of age or older
Place sufficient Otomite Plus in each ear to wet external ear canal, approximately 2 drops for each pound of body weight (maximum 10).
Storage and Disposal:
This product is toxic to aquatic organisms, including fish and invertebrates. Do not contaminate water when disposing of equipment, washwater, or rinsate. Do not contaminate water, food, or feed by storage and disposal.
Pesticide Storage: KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN. Store in a cool, dry area.
Pesticide Disposal and Container Handling: Nonrefillable container. Do not reuse or refill this container. If empty: Place in trash or offer for recycling, if available.
If partly filled: Call your local solid waste agency for disposal instructions. Never place unused product down any indoor or outdoor drain.
Otomite Plus is rated
Rated 4 out of
Beware, don't share!
I realized that I might have actually transferred ear mites from one dog to another by sharing the same bottle! Oh No!
FORTUNATELY...The LOW COST of this EFFECTIVE ear mite solution affords getting a separate bottle for each pet. OH YES!!! It Works!
Date published: 2016-11-10
Rated 4 out of
Works well with Cleansing Solution, as advised!
After reading reviews, comparing product with more expensive options & assessing my Lab & Pit ear conditions; I chose this product to, thankfully, discover a "cure" for one infestation while also preventing the beginning of another. It is such a relief when they stop suffering!!! Pink ears make my rescues, "Baby Girl" & "Granddog, "Good Boy" happy, happy, happy so they can play & relax. A Good product, but I maintain prevention with the 1-800PetMeds ear cleaning solution too. It's a bit hard to figure how much medicine is going into my best friend's very large ears from such a tiny bottle...wish it were bigger & came in larger sz than 1oz.
Date published: 2016-10-27
Rated 5 out of
it's very infective
it works very well but is a pain in the butt to the get the drop in my cat lulu's ears. She's a perfectly healthy kitty now and is as happy as can be
Date published: 2014-10-11
Rated 1 out of
Date published: 2014-08-01
Rated 5 out of
I tried to rid my 2 cats of "ear mites" for 6 months, spending hundreds of dollars in the process. I used Otomite then graduated to Revolution, but nothing worked. They scratched the fur off their ears, constantly shook their heads, and endured the whole medicine application process (it IS a process!) for SIX MONTHS, all because I thought symptons/ear mites=ear mites. Wrong. After a trip to the vet, it was determined that they had a YEAST INFECTION! With the proper vet-prescribed medicine, they were fine in a couple weeks. Recently, after Dude returned from his first-ever "2-day Real World Adventure," a vet checkup revealed he had picked up ear mites (for real this time,) which is why I purchased Otomite again. Worked like a charm! For the cost-conscious: Vets are their own pharmacists, meaning they write prescriptions just like an MD, then fill it themselves, most of the time at HUGELY-inflated prices. You CAN ask them their price(s) first, then to write you a prescription to shop around for the medicine, however that means more time that your pet may be in distress. I get a prescription and check online (and with other local vets) first, then decide if the savings are big enough to justify any delay in treatment, often returning to my vet an hour later (in shame.) Bottom line: save yourself time and money/save your pet undue strife: get a vet checkup!
Date published: 2013-09-08
Rated 5 out of
Be sure that your pet actually HAS ear mites!!
I see that there are negative reviews on this product. I almost wrote one, as well until I found that my animal did NOT have ear mites. After applying Otomite w/no results, I took my pet to our Veterinarian where it was determined that they suffered from something else; either dry ears, fungal infections or ear wax build up. If you are SELF diagnosing your animal (and probably are because you're ordering online and not through your Veterinarians)...you might be MIS diagnosing. This product works GREAT if, indeed, your animal actually suffers from ear mites.
Date published: 2013-05-13
Rated 1 out of
Used consistently according to directions for two weeks. Ears were cleaned first as directed but the ear mites would be back with a vengeance within 2 days after treatment. Otomite Plus did nothing to help my poor miserable kitty.
Date published: 2012-09-25
Rated 1 out of
Not what I expected
I was hoping this would work since it is used by vets but it never cleared my cat's ears. It seems like it has made them appear less dirty from time to time but the problem keeps returning even when I am consistantly using it. I wish they could make a stronger more effective product.
Date published: 2012-09-21